A rare pearlware platter, decorated with the fa├žade of the Masonic Institution for Girls, St. George's Fields, Southwark also known as the Freemasons' Tavern with Masonic symbols border. Built in the late 18th Centuray to house the orphaned daughters of Freemasons;

"The orphaned girls were taught needlework and domestic subjects and every effort was made to "impress strongly their minds a due sense of subordination, a true humility and obedience to their superiors."

The platter is 19 inches in length. It has a combed back.

Circa 1830.

Item No. PW0037

 

Price: POA    

 

Website designed by Henry Tambach
Copyright Nivingston Antiques ©2013
Categories